Direct Access Through the Continuum of Care
Section: Private Practice
Co-Section: Health Policy and Administration
Session Code: PP-1B-8575
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2015
Time: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Indiana Convention Center
Room: Room 205
Session Type: Educational Sessions
Session Level: Multiple Level
Direct access is a hot topic for outpatient physical therapists who feel alone in the pursuit of the ability to practice to their fullest potential. But do we need to take a broader view of what direct access means? All physical therapists in all settings need to have a stake in pursuing direct access for our profession. Join our panelists to discuss not just the logistics, but also the professional mindset of direct access through the continuum of care from the acute setting to home health to outpatient orthopedics. Learn how to be an effective part of the medical team to provide the most comprehensive care possible to today's patient and health care consumer.
1. Recognize benefits of adopting a direct access mindset across all physical therapy settings.
2. Define the role of the physical therapist as part of the medical team and global health care system.
3. Identify the key benefits of experience in the acute care setting by analyzing case examples, evaluating problem-solving techniques, and describing an ideal acute care practice.
4. Describe ways that physical therapists can form partnerships with other medical professionals who see the value and necessity of direct access.
5. Share examples from other providers who already value PT consult, and discuss ways to share the profession’s value in the management of musculoskeletal injuries.
Search sessions by day, speaker, track, keyword, event type, or display all sessions.