Science Meets Practice: Novel Approaches to Tactical Athlete, Health, and Readiness
Section: Sports PT Section
Session Code: SP-2A-8691
Date: Friday, January 25, 2019
Time: 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Walter E. Washington Convention Center
Room: Platform Area 1
Session Type: Educational Sessions
Session Level: Advanced
This session combines research platforms with a case study and traditional education presentations that explores unique approaches to improving the health, wellness, and fitness of the tactical athlete population. The implementation of a novel collaborative endeavor between Georgia Southern University and the 3rd Infantry Division using physical therapy students (The Soldier Athlete Human Performance Optimization [SAHPO] program) is reviewed. It focuses on how physical therapy students provide education on a variety of injury prevention topics, and help Army soldiers implement the material using a train-the-trainer model. An interdisciplinary injury prevention and performance optimization program for the Boston Fire Department is presented, providing details of how physical therapists are an integral part of the interprofessional team, contributing to significant cost and time savings related to decreased musculoskeletal injury.
Platforms included within this presentation are:
1. Changes in Medial Elbow Elasticity and Joint Space Gapping During Maximal Gripping (Speaker: Hiroshi Hattori)
2. The influence of running surface on lower extremity stress in recreational runners (Speaker: Megan Fosko)
3. Training Rugby Athletes with an External Focus Promotes More Automatic Adaptations in Landing Forces (Speaker: Thomas Almonroeder)
4. Ankle Joint Loads during Routine Training Activities (Speaker: Kristen Edmonds)
Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Define the role of physical therapy in tactical athlete populations.
2. Analyze unique programs to reduce injury rates and improve performance for tactical athletes.
Search sessions by day, speaker, section, keyword, event type, or display all sessions.